Korean Medical Association, announcing the guideline (proposal) on the use of social media for the doctors
Posted on December 5, 2019 17:22
Modified on December 11, 2019 15:29
Personal information (confidential) protection
1. The doctors shall know that the applicable laws and practices for protecting patient privacy also apply to the cases of the social media use and they should not post identifiable patient information on the social media.
2. When using social media for education, academic exchange, or exchange of information with fellow doctors, physicians shall adhere to the ethical guidelines for keeping the privacy and confidentiality.
Appropriateness of Information
1. The doctors shall post accurate and appropriate medical information on the social media.
2. The doctors shall endeavor to monitor, modify and supplement medical information posted on social media.
3. The doctors shall endeavor to point out and correct medical information posted on social media by fellow doctors or the others if they are inaccurate or inappropriate.
Relationship between patients and doctors
1. When communicating with the patients through social media, the doctors shall maintain appropriate distances with the patients in accordance with the ethical guidelines.
2. The doctors shall be considerate about the level of disclosure of their personal information and about setting the extent of disclosing their postings on the social media.
3. The doctors shall consider separating the private and public purposes when using the social media.
Decency as a professional
1. The doctors shall know that the use of inappropriate social media not only impairs the authority and decency of the doctors as an individual, but can also degrade public confidence in the entire medical community including the fellow doctors, and may create negative perceptions.
2. If it is determined that the doctors' decency is damaged by the other doctors’ improper use of the social media, the doctors shall endeavor to correct it through the expertise advices. Nevertheless, if appropriate measures are not taken, it should be informed to the Korean Medical Association.
Communications between the doctors (colleagues)
1. Communication with the fellow doctors through the social media shall be done with the principle of mutual respect based on professionalism and trust.
Physician Education on the use of social media
1. Doctors' organizations and medical education institutions shall endeavor to provide examples, guidelines for use, and educational programs that can help the doctors properly use the social media.
Conflict of Interest
1. The doctors shall understand that the use of social media may cause the conflict of interest, and proactively manage the sites based on such understandings.
- Korean Medical Assiociation(KMA), refrain from participating in the ‘home-visit fee pilot program’
- Korean Medical Assiociation(KMA) “It should withdraw the telemedicine pilot project in Gangwon regulation-free special zone”
- As Daejip Choi, the Chairman of the Korean Medical Association(KMA) return to the struggle.